Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Social Classes

This week we had readings, youtube videos, and discussions on different social classes.  I found them very intriguing.  As I did my assignments, there was an experience that came to my mind when I moved back to Idaho after not living here for 20 years.  I would like to share that with you.  I was applying for a job in one of the local schools around here and I had some additional questions to ask the receptionist as I handed in my resume.  She did not know my answers and put me through to the supervisor of that job.  I had mentioned after I hung up the phone to the receptionist that my mom used to work for her years ago.  She then looked at me and then looked at my resume, and said, "so did you put your maiden name on your resume?"  I was shocked and somewhat offended.  Don't get me wrong, I love my maiden name and I am very proud that I come from the parents I do, but I had been married for 20 years, and my name is Shiree Shirley.  I looked at the receptionist, and said , "No, I did not. Shouldn't my experience and name speak for myself?"  Needless to say, I did not get that job.  This experience though reminded me of the social class a small town brings, where you are known for your name and that can carry a lot of weight, for good or bad. 

2 comments:

  1. Totally get what you are saying! Funny, at a certain time of your life when your maiden name is no longer known, you are mostly known as a relation to someone else. "Oh you are Brian's wife, Marissa's, Josh's, Dan's, Abrea's mom...."
    Good for you for standing up for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shiree! I really loved your personal experience that connected what you are learning in class to the real world, to your real world. The power of a name is amazing. If you had put your maiden name would you have gotten the job, no questions asked? Would they then look closer at your experience? Which is more important, what you know or who you know?

    ReplyDelete