Thursday, October 16, 2014

Gender roles

This week we talked on a very controversial topic--gender roles.  I really appreciated doing more research on this topic.  It was interesting to read research, have discussions in class, and talk to others about this topic. In a manual our church published, "A Parent's Guide", chapter 4, it states: "Role identity refers to an understanding of oneself in relation to others. In contrast, gender identity involves an understanding and accepting of one’s own gender, with little reference to others; one’s gender roles usually focus upon the social interaction associated with being male or female. Parents can help children to establish during these years a good foundation for later intimacy by helping them understand true principles about how a son or daughter of God should relate to others in his or her gender roles." I really appreciate this statement because it reminds me that as a parent, Heavenly Father has trusted us to identify with our children's needs and trusts that we will help them understand their gender that he has laid out for us in His plan. 

 In 1995, when The Proclamation to the Family was produced, I couldn't understand why we needed to be told what a family consisted of and the roles of a husband and wife. I soon realized that the world would start to wonder what constitutes a family.  Many researchers have tried to show that one is born gay, but I know that to be false; that we all have a choice.  I do not discredit that one can have tendencies like one who has tendencies for alcohol, or gambling.  It is a choice on us to act on those tendencies. I am grateful for the knowledge I have of my Savior's plan and that it involves an eternal family unit of a father and a mother.   
Mother & Father

1 comment:

  1. All this time and there is a Parent's Guide!? DANG!!! Here I've been flying by the seat of my pants!!
    Awesome thoughts! Couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete