Monday, September 22, 2014

Well, I made it through my first week of school, not easy I might add.  There is a reason you should go to college while you are young!
This week's reading has been very interesting so far.  Lots of trends, basically from the United States, on numbers of Americans living alone, births to unmarried women by race, and cohabitation to name a few.  The trend in all of these three have gone up a lot from the 1960's-70's to 2009.  As I read this, I couldn't help but think, why?  What has changed?  One of the topics I want to understand more about is divorce.  Has it really gone up or is just more information being recorded?  Has the trend of
living alone gone up because there are more divorces or did people just never marry and chose to live alone?  Go ahead, give me your input and feedback.  I'd love to hear!
I am very lucky, my parents never did divorce.  My mother passed away after 34 years of marriage.  Their marriage was strong.  They had their different upbringings.  My mother was from the city, wore fancy gloves with her dresses.  My dad,a country boy, and grew up on a farm riding horses.  Love brought them together, but commitment and hard work kept them together.  This is the example I lean to for my own marriage.  Again, what do you think on these topics?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post honey! Hmm, what do I think? I think I love you lots and lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was that fewer women got divorced back in the day because they had fewer options ahead of them if they did. They weren't as educated, they relied on a man to take care of them, there were fewer high paying jobs so they couldn't provide for their children, they were publicly shunned, etc. So yes, there were fewer divorces but there were probably a lot of unhappy marriages, more "roommates" if you will; couples who lived in the same house but had their own relationships on the side. On the other hand, I think some couples worked that much harder on their marriages because divorce wasn't an option so they HAD to make it work and they did. When failure isn't an option you keep trying until you find something that does work no matter how long it takes, right?
    The same day I read your post I found this article on my news feed and I knew I had to share it with you:
    http://m.huffpost.comus/entry5829870?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592
    So there you go, my two (ten) cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa for your comments! I liked your insights. Some of them I had not thought about. And you are right, when failure isn't an option, you do keep trying whether it's in marriage or any other aspect of your life.

    ReplyDelete