Friday, January 16, 2015

Stress and Coping

Just in one week of class, I have learned far more about the words "stress" and "coping" than I have ever thought about them before!  I've always thought that stress is a reaction from your mind and body to certain situation or things.  I stress very easily about most things.  Some stressors in my life I have learned how to control. I was excited to take this class not only for my degree, but to find ways that could help me.  I have been pleasantly surprised to be told that stress can be positive or negative.  Yay for positive stress!  In class, stress was talked about as in trees, a bone, and pre-stressed concrete.  When talking about the stress of a tree, that's when I truly understood how stress can be positive.  Stress helps someone or something to stretch beyond what is customary.  A tree truck needs to have stress to bend.  Without this, it could not bend, and the bending of the trunk allows the trunk to thicken which helps it to live longer.  As stress is put on the tree, it also allows the roots of the tree to stretch for water, which also prolong the life of a tree.  I have seen many people stake their young trees at the top with a rebar pole and some string or twine.  This does not allow the tree to have tension to bend, which does not thicken the trunk resulting in a short life.  I have thought a lot about this concept since class and families.  How many times do we see or find ourselves as parents "holding" onto our children and not allowing them to experience life.  We may do this so they don't fail or they don't get embarassed, but this actually stunts their mental and emotional growth.  Without this stretching on family members, we can not be stressed or grow to our full potential. In the Book of Mormon, Lehi has pointed out that "opposition is essential for personal growth." Research has shown that those with a hardy view of stress, for example, will look at a potentially difficult event as a challenge rather than as something to be feared.
 
This leads into the second part of our week's discussion on coping.  I loved the example of the coping saw and crown moulding in class.  I know I am a visual learner, so that was perfect for me to understanding more about coping.  A coping saw can cut into wood where other saws can't.  It cuts with intricate detail for two pieces to come together on an inward wall.   The illustration of how the moulding was put into place with a person on both ends and then one or two people in the middle putting stress on the moulding for it to slide into place. You then add a small bit of caulking to finish the moulding for it to be a finished, beautiful project.  I thought that in a family we also need everyone to work together to come together beautifully and with a tight fit.  When someone is not helping out or doing their part, then it is hard for everyone to see the beauty of the situation because they were not involved in the work. I then thought how the caulking could be the outside influences we may need, as in the gospel, or friends, or counselors to help us complete a stressful situation. When referring to a swimming pool, Bro. Williams said in class, "Good coping saves lives."  I now, more than ever, believe this. 
This is going to be a great semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment