Saturday, December 6, 2014

Parenting

"To you who are parents, I say, show love to your children. You know you love them, but make certain they know it as well. They are so precious. Let them know. Call upon Heavenly Father for help as you care for their needs each day as you deal with challenges which inevitably come with parenthood. You need more than your own wisdom in rearing them." - President Thomas S. Monson
 
When I was little, I remember saying that when I grow up the only thing I wanted to be was a mom!  I am grateful for this blessing of having children and having this wish granted!  My children have been the center of my universe!  I love their personalities! I love their hugs! I love our talks together! I love our family trips together! I hurt when they hurt or don't succeed! I love to take care of them! I love to watch them grow physically, academically and spiritually!  I just love them!  
 
Parenting is an exciting time, but it is also a trying time too.  No day is ever perfect, but how a parent deals with the day helps set the tone for the whole house.    We learned of three different types of parenting- Authoritarian-control oriented, few choices, "you must respect me!", Permissive-neglecting child's needs, choices and no consequences, little effort or direction, and Authoritative-friendly, but firm, long term results, consistent, and transparent. I would like to think I am an Authoritative type parent.  Although, I think at times I see myself, depending on the issue, fall into any one of those categories.  I think the important issue to remember is the phrase, "Be firm and friendly."  We can be our children's friends, but we also need to teach them.  Most of the time those lessons are best taught by letting them take the lead, even when it's not the choice you would take and then possibly failing. We may need to step in when it is too dangerous/physical harm, too far into the future, or it affects others negatively.  The goal is not compliance, it is learning.  I am learning. I am not perfect, but I am learning.  I can't say it enough that I am grateful to be a mom to Marissa, 
Josh, Dan, and Abrea!
 
I have absolutely loved this class! I walked out of class this week, and thought-this class is real life.  We will all have relationships and need to know how to communicate.  We all came from families and have been parented or will parent, and we all go through some form of crisis.  Thank you for following my blog.  I have one week left of class, but would like to keep writing for anybody wanting to follow!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Shiree, I really enjoyed this post! I particularity enjoyed when you described Authoritative as "firm and friendly." In the introduction to the Doctrine and Covenants, about 2/3's the way through the 3ed paragraph, it describes Christ's voice in those revelations as "tender but firm." It just reminded me of that. I would be interested in seeing more posts on this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tyler for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoy my blog!

    ReplyDelete